Shooting weddings since 2007 I have selected the following camera equipment because it is easy on the go and complements my shooting style. I strongly believe in quick and easy and less is more. Always on the go from the hotel, to the church, to the sunset photoshoot on the beach and wrapping up at the reception luau, I don’t have the luxury of setting up the scene and taking multiple takes. while catching that special and magical moment, I usually have to nail it on the first take and don’t count on getting a second chance. Knowing the limitations and possibilities of how to use my equipment is a high priority and a key factor of making it through a full wedding event.
The benefit of using multiple Canon bodies mixed with a full or cropped sensor allow for multiple focal lengths and minimum amount of lenses to carry. I also shoot video too, so with a click of a button and adding some audio equipment will transform any Canon body from photo to video in just a few minutes. A GoPro tethered with a hotshoe mount, I get the best of both worlds, video and photos all in one. The iPhone 6 is a backup for the backup, but mostly used for posting photos and video to my Instagram account.
Waterhousing (surfing and trash the dress)
– Essex waterhousing with 5” pro port and 8” dome port
– SPL waterhousing A-series 8-15mm fisheye dome port
I always shoot with two bodies during every wedding, one wide and one zoom lens. The two extreme focal lengths produce a shot that is not usually seen by the average joe. The middle range zoom, hardly touches any camera bodies except for shooting family portraits.
– Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
– Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras
– Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
– Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM 1-to-1 Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
– Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
– Canon EF 1.4X II Telephoto Extender for Canon Super Telephoto Lenses
This lighting setup has a very small footprint and is easy to set up and break down. The detachable speedlights combined with the Giottos ball head with hotshoe clamps have multiple options to be mounted anywhere be used as a key or fill light.
– Canon Speedlite 600EX II Flash for Canon EOS Digital SLR Cameras x 3
– Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter
– Manfrotto 1004BAC Master Stand (Black) x 2
– Neewer 43-Inch 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Light Reflector
In a wedding, time is important. I have selected the following accessories and use the fastest cards and card readers for quick download times, especially during video (SDE) same day edits.
– Lexar Professional 1000x Compact Flash Memory Card (16GB, 32GB, 64GB)
– SanDisk Extreme PRO Compact Flash Memory Card UDMA 7 160MB/s (16GB, 32GB, 64GB)
– Lexar Dual Slot USB 3.0 Reader x 2
– Neewer Led CN-126 Ultra High Power LED x 2
– Sto-Fen OM-ET Omni-Bounce for Canon 600EX-RT Flash x 3
– Sanyo Eneloop XX 2500mAh High Capacity batteries, 4 Pack x 8
– Giottos Professional Mini Ball Head Camera with Hotshoe Mount x 2
– Think Tank Pixel Pocket Rocket
– Think Tank Pee Wee Pixel Pocket Rocket
– Think Tank DSLR Battery Holder 4 x 2
– Manfrotto Carbon Fiber 3-Section Tripod with Horizontal Column
– Manfrotto MVM500A Aluminum Fluid Monopod with 500 Head
– ProMediaGear Curved & Straight Video Slider (kickstarter)
Video and Audio
Pairing any of these audio equipment, will turn any Canon body into an HD video camera in minutes.
– Rode VideoMic Pro Compact VMP Shotgun Microphone
– Sennheiser EW112P G3 A-Band Wireless Lav Mic
– TASCAM DR-100mkII 2-Channel Portable Digital Recorder
– TASCAM DR-40 4-Track Portable Digital Recorder
– Assorted XLR cables and adaptors
On average I shoot 100 GB’s of files and footage for every wedding. I need a workstation that can push all these pixels while I edit. Having only one copy of files, without multiple backups is not an option. I back up a Drobo with a Drobo, capacity 32TB+ of storage and have an online (Crashplan) cloud storage back up.
– Mac Pro 6 core, 32GG Ram, 256GB SSD
– Apple Cinema 23-inch HD Flat-Panel Display x 2
– Drobo 5D 5-bay Storage Array, Thunderbolt/USB 3.0
– Drobo Mini 4-bay Storage Array, Thunderbolt/USB 3.0
– Drobo USB 3.0 4-Bay Storage Array (DDR3A21) x 3
– LaCie d2 Thunderbolt-2 & USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive 3TB
Software and accessories
I use the industry standard software to edit both photos and videos.