In just a few days I will be boarding a plane to London to cover the Summer Olympics. I’m sure many people would freak out when it comes to what gear to pack when you are going to be photographing the largest sporting event on Earth. That was absolutely how I felt four years ago when I shot the Summer Olympics in Beijing, China. I ended up completely over packing with every piece of gear I could fit into my bags. Iâ€™d say more than half the stuff I never used. This time I am gonna pack slightly lighter.
– Business Cards â€“ Cards a very important thing to have at all times. I have met some pretty big current clients of mine on airplanes or on location and who knows how different my life would be today had I not been able to properly network with others.
– Flash Cards â€“ Their importance cannot be downplayed!
– Set of PocketWizard Plus III transceivers â€“ Never know when I may need them. Usually when I leave them at home is when I end up needing them so thatâ€™s why they always travel with me now.
Other important things that canâ€™t fit into my roller bag you will find in my backpack I got as a free media gift from the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago:
– Since I am traveling with a 600mm and a 400mm lens only one can fit in my roller so I take the smaller 400mm 2.8 and put it in backpack.
– iPad â€“ Perfect travel tool to watch movies on flights while I use my laptop to edit. Ipad is also wonderful to put photo galleries on to show clientsâ€¦ or potential clients!
– Vagabond Mini Battery â€“ Its perfect to keep my laptop powered on a cross country flight or to charge my iPad or phone with when I am running out of power.
– Aquatech rain gear for my cameras
– Spare Batteries â€“ Always good to have extra for your flash. Especially if people donâ€™t like you enough to give you batteries!Â JK!… or am I?